German Red Cross
The German Red Cross is a member of the global community of the international Red Cross and Red Crescent movement, providing help without discrimination to the victims of conflicts and disasters and others in need, solely based on their level of need. We act in the name of humanity for the lives, health, wellbeing, protection, peaceful interaction and dignity of all people.
Internationally, the German Red Cross implements humanitarian and development programmes together with local Red Cross/Red Crescent partners. The Lao Red Cross is auxiliary to the Lao Government and provides humanitarian services to support vulnerable communities to improve their health and livelihoods and help them in times of disaster. In Laos we support the Lao Red Cross National Blood Transfusion Service with blood donation, processing and transfusion, particularly at provincial and district levels. We are funded primarily by the German Government. Voluntary donor motivation
- Between 2010 and 2019, blood donations nationally rose from around 26,000 to 55,500, together with an increase in the proportion of returning blood donors.
- Communication, publicity and educational materials on voluntary blood donation and campaign strategies have been developed.
- Youth Donor Clubs and lists of emergency donors (‘walking blood donors‘) have been established at provincial and district levels.
- The programme has supported the construction and development of provincial level facilities in all 17 provinces and 30 district blood storage units.
- Test kits, reagents and blood bags and equipment have been provided.
- Training and knowledge exchange and workshops at district, provincial, national and international levels.
- GRC domestic blood services have been involved in providing technical inputs over quality management.
- The programme has supported policy development and advocacy with Government Ministries.
- Thalassemia – transfusion is often required for this common inherited blood disorder.
- Clinical waste management.
Address:C/O Lao Red Cross
Impasse Xieng Nhune
PO Box 2948